Astrid*Stars: Day 3 in NYC: Lady Liberty, 9/11 Memorial and Little Italy.

Friday, November 29, 2013

Day 3 in NYC: Lady Liberty, 9/11 Memorial and Little Italy.


Sorry for taking so long to write again. After my first few weeks in NYC things at school got super busy and crazy. I was also trying to avoid that roommate of mine from reeling me into social events with her friends (most likely AARP members). Anyway, on day 3 of being a tourist in NYC my mom, sister and me decided it was time to pay a little visit to good 'ole Lady Liberty. First step was to take the train down to battery park and going into this little fort which is officially called the Clinton Castle National Monument in order to buy our tickets to board the ferry to Liberty Island. Once we had our tickets, it was time to start our adventure. 

View of Manhattan from the Ferry
My beautiful sister on the Ferry with Lady Liberty in the background. 


Although the Ferry ride was quite windy, it was also quite calming and had some great views of the city. However it was a bit muggy that day so they came out a bit gloomy. I also had fun trying to take some pictures of my sister. I got some great shots, but sadly due to my camera having no auto focus and sometimes being a bit difficult to get into focus, especially on a swaying ferry, they came out blurry. Finally though, we got to Liberty Island to take in the glory that is the Statue of Liberty. It might be one of the most touristy things we did while we explored the city, but it was still such an amazing moment. I also had a lot of requests to visit it by friends back home LOL. Below are pictures my sister and me took in front of it. 


The city on the fairy ride bac

On the island we of course went to the gift shop and I believe my sister might have picked out a few souvenirs for friends, but I honestly don't remember specifically what. One thing we were kind of surprised by was that we expected the statue to be taller, but still it's a must-see no matter what. On the Ferry back to the city, I took this picture of a foggy Manhattan skyline and that building you see towering above the rest of them on the left is the next place we decided to pay a visit to. That building is where the Twin towers were, what use to be the World Trade Center, which is now being rebuilt. As Americans who remember waking up to that horrific day, we though it was important to visit.


Plaque near the WTC paying tribute to 9/11

The building being built as the new WTC and that tells you were the Twin Towers stood. 
The most noticeable part of the 9/11 memorial is this tall oddly shaped building that is going to be part of the new World Trade Center (at least this is how I understood it). After we got our tickets to get in, which are free by the way, it was a bit confusing to find the entrance as apparently there are quite  a few ways to enter or that's what the signs make you believe. We finally found the right entrance though and had to go through security to enter the memorial. Upon entering you see two big fountains, like the one below, where the Twin Towers use to stand and they have rows of those who lost their lives that day. We all took a picture in front of the fountains and the reason we aren't smiling is that we wanted to show we were honoring their memories rather then just posing in front of a tourist spot. It was quite emotional for me to be there as I'm sure it is for most people who visit. 




After leaving the towers we decided to end the day on a light note by heading to nearby Little Italy. This is probably to date, one of my favorite places in NYC by the way and this is the night I fell in love with it. It was again, a bit tough to find, as seems to be the motto for most NYC spots LOL. But alas after wandering a bit through Chinatown, we found it and it was awesome.



 The first thing we noticed, people eating. Now keep in mind it was close to dinner time when we arrived and the food looked so good, but we had already had a late lunch so we decided to skip the restaurants and walk around. We also didn't know where to eat as there seemed to be restaurant upon restaurant filled with people eating alongside the sidewalk tables.





I took that opportunity to take snap shots of my sister and the stores. Finally we asked a girl at the store and she recommended getting cannolis at Ferrara's. I'm so happy she told us about it because OMG the cannolis and other desserts were delicious!!! I just had to take a picture though and I'm glad my phone died and forced me to use my camera instead. Now I say this because most food pics I use to take only with my phone since I usually only take them to post to Instagram lol. Thankfully this allowed me to discover that I am pretty darn good at photographing food and now know that I can always have a backup career as a food photographer LOL. 

My Trio of cannoli, eclair and fruit tart

My sister's cannoli

My Mocha drink (I forget the specific name sorry)

My sister's cappuccino (I think)

And my favorite, Gelato

Needless to say, once we finally headed home we were exhausted after a day of adventure and went to bed pretty much right away. It was definitely one of my favorite days in the city and as I write this I realized I need to go back there again, especially since I've been finding myself in nearby Tribeca quite a lot lately. Anyway, I apologize again for taking so long to write this post even though I had all the pictures and stuff ready. Like I said, school kept me busy and tired, but as the semester comes to an end and my time in NYC will soon be over, I will try to get up to speed with what I had planned in the coming days/weeks. Thank you for being patient and hope you enjoy the post.

Thanksgiving stuffed, but still full of love,
until the next post,
Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment