Astrid*Stars: Day 4 in NYC: Exploring my New College and Time Square Strolling

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Day 4 in NYC: Exploring my New College and Time Square Strolling



NYC Queens College


So eventually on this trip we had to pay a little visit to the school that brought me out to New York in the first place or at least made it possible for me to do an exchange program and therefore an excuse for me to come. That school is Queens College CUNY. Now this appears to be the only university out here that seems to have its campus all in one place and looks like any school would with a "quad" and all as opposed to just being buildings that seem to have no relation to each other and are three blocks apart with commercial buildings in between.

So when we arrived, we decided it would be best to get a tour as again this was my first time physically there (I didn't visit before applying or even after until this day) and headed to the administration building (I forgot the official name for it LOL).
The Administration Building
Anyway, when we asked for the tour we were told we could get a map and take a self-guided tour, so basically they told us to figure it out ourselves. Well the first thing we did was to try and find all my classrooms, which since most of my classes took place in either of two rooms, didn't take too long. Since my advisor for the program had her office in the same building as two of my classes (again they take place in the same room LOL) we decide to finally meet her in person, after all she was the one that guided us through the registration part and all. Her name is Izeta and she is a very nice jolly(that's honestly the word that comes to mind) lady who really seems to like her job and was very welcoming. At the same time I feel bad for her cuz she tries so hard to make the whole group hang out for things we aren't always into.  Once we left her office we went to try to find my last classroom which was really hard to find. However, that allowed us to also walk around the part of campus and find a random red door and also find this building/museum(It's actually called Klapper Hall).

The red door
My sister in front of Klapper Hall
After finally locating the last classroom that turned out to just have an awkward entrance (and also being badly labeled on the map) we decided to head back to the apartment so we could rest up before meeting up from a friend from back home in Times Square. She was in town for a month-long gig and we were happy to be in New York at the same time. She also knew New York a little better than we did and has many friends in Broadway so we were eager to hear what places and shows she recommended. Even though she knew NYC much better than we did and more importantly, Times Square, it was still a challenge to decide where to grab dinner at. Finally we settled for Gyu-Kaku.
Although its a chain restaurant it was actually pretty good and also had a coolness factor since we got to grill our own food in the grill that's in the center of every table. We also had good conversation and ended the dinner with amore's for dessert, which I know is random for a Japanese restaurant, but still pretty cool. Andrea had to leave soon after to meet with her friends who had just finished a show so we decided to go explore Times Square.

NYC, Times Square
Times Square

New York City, Times Square,
Police Horse

Broadway, NYC, Matilda
This was so nostalgic to see since I loved the movie as a kid. Still need to go see it.

Broadway, NYC, Times Square
Posters of the shows playing. My little heart pitter-pattered.
It was honestly so much fun to walk around Times Square. It's just so pretty to watch all the lights shining bright and well the ads are pretty cool, plus it's always so alive. That being said it's also super crowded, but I actually didn't mind. I also liked seeing where a lot of the Broadway shows were playing and discussing which ones we wanted to go see. We also saw the lines of people getting ready to go in an enjoy a show. My sister got really excited about the Police Horse, although I really don't understand why New York even has them, but oh well. We also were pretty excited to go into Toys R' Us in Times Square because they have a ferris wheel. LOL So, yupp we ended the night overpaying for a ferris wheel ride and looking at toys we are all too old for, but that's just how we roll. 
NYC, Times Square, Toys R Us
The Toys R' Us Ferris Wheel

We got to ride the Jimmy Neutron car. Even more nostalgia LOL

My sister and me on the Ferris Wheel like a bunch of 5 year olds. 
Love from my 5 year old heart+ Jimmy Neutron Rockets
Astrid

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment