Astrid*Stars: Mini Trip to Ojai

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Mini Trip to Ojai

So I hope you guys are enjoying the new layout. I know I kept constantly changing it this weekend, but I will try to fight the urge to change it. I just can't seem to settle for the look I want, so I'll see what you guys end up liking best, after all this blog is all for you :)

Anyway, I finally had my sinus situation controlled today and was able to take a little trip to Ojai with one of my Meetup book groups. Even though it was still a bit rainy, it was still a nice day to drive out to Bart's Books, an outdoor independent bookstore.

Bart's books, Ojai
{Source: Me}
Inside (well within the bookstore) there were tons of books and they even had a classics room where my friend Vanessa managed to get an almost mint condition of H.G. Wells The Invisible Man for only $12.  It is a pretty cool store just for the fact that it is all outdoors, but no worries the books are covered, so they weren't wet or anything. It is also nice that the store takes credit cards so you don't have to worry if you didn't bring cash with you. Here are a few pictures of the "inside":


Bart's books, ojai, travel
{Source: Me}

Bart's books, ojai, travel
{Source: Me}

Bart's books, ojai, travel
{Source: Me}



Bart's books, ojai, travel
{Source:Me}
Isn't it cute? I don't know about you, but I like being able to drive an hour or so away from L.A. and take mini trips to quirky places like this one. I am still in awe that this bookstore exists and so grateful Vanessa suggested a visit to it. And if you are asking if I resisted buying more books, you are wrong LOL. I mean who can resist buying books from such a unique place AND at a discount. So this is what I got for $26 (sorry for the bad pic):

{Source: Me}
I had wanted to read The Help, The Weird Sisters and Girls in White Dresses for a while and Vanessa suggested Defending Jacob since we were discussing mystery novels at the bookstore. I still can't believe what I paid for all for since each is about $15 at retail price. Anyway that wasn't the only thing we did in Ojai. After everyone had gotten their books( it was 8 of us), we decided to go look for the strawberry shortcake place my sister had told me to check out, she swore it was the best she's ever had, and it seems she was right, 'cause it was delicious (Yes I detoured from the 21 day fix a bit).

My sister didn't remember the name of the restaurant however, so we had to search for it on Yelp, which wasn't hard to do as it seemed to be pretty popular. So off we went to Boccali's, which was equally as cute, and had some great views of the mountains that surround Ojai. The only downside to this cute little joint is that they only take cash or check, so do come prepared if you make the trip. 

This picture does not do the mountains justice.


The girls admiring the mountain view while waiting for our table. 

Their Specials menu outside their door.

Yummy Minestrone soup.

And the reason we ended up at Boccali's...The Strawberry Shortcake
Overall, it was a pretty fun min trip out of the city. It is completely doable in a day and we all had a great time discussing books, the latest fashion in glasses, and catching up on what else is going on in each other's life. Also, even with the rain, Ojai is beautiful no matter what. I will definitely be going back, especial when it gets a bit warmer since Ojai also has some amazing hiking trails. So if you live  in Southern California, say L.A. or are visiting, I would 100% recommend you make a trip to Ojai for some deeply discounted books and the best Strawberry Shortcake in the area. 

Love,
Astrid



1 comment: