Astrid*Stars: Workplace Wednesday: Resumés

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Workplace Wednesday: Resumés

workplace wednesday resumés

I've been wanting to post this Workplace Wednesday for a while, but really had to think about what I wanted to write in my post. It is inspired by the fact that my little sister recently had me help her make her first resumé and also due to the fact that I need to update my own since I am looking for internships and post-graduation jobs(so scary LOL). These are tips that I've been given and have worked for me. It is not a step by step guide on how to write one, as it can vary by field.
So here are the tips that have worked for me. I've actually been given many of these by professionals that were invited for a Career Center event hosted by my school to help review resumés.

Tip #1: Keep the Format Simple:
When I look for templates online, sometimes I tend to come across some overly fancy ones. I brought a few variations that day that we had this resumé reviewing event and the professionals I spoke to said to not go with the fancier variations, keep it simple they said. What I mean by "fancy" variations are those that have fancy fonts, stripes, or too many graphic details/designs. There are obviously exceptions to this, but let's not get into that. This tip is especially important if you are just starting out. The fancy add ons will just distract and if they are not that great can stand out in a bad way.

Tip#2: Make it One Page:
This is pretty straight forward. Don't make your resumé longer than a page. I know some of you may have a lot of experience and that's great, but you don't want to overwhelm your potential employer with your awesomeness. Also you want to showcase the work that is relevant. It is all about prioritizing what experience and skills you want to highlight for each specific job(more on this later). Now what if you are having a hard time filling the page? Well the next tip is for you.

Tip#3: Highlight Skills and Relevant Experiences:
Note that I put experiences not experience. For the purpose of this post, there is a difference. What I mean by experiences is life experiences. For example, my sister is the spirit leader of her cheerleading team. In that role she helps her coach with administrative tasks such as making sure files are in order, planning events, and marketing these events.

 It is not a paying job she can list under work experience, but she can list it under accomplishments or volunteer experience or something of that sort. This shows employers she has the skills to do similar tasks they may be requiring a hire to do. So if you volunteer or have helped a relative with a website or something along those lines, write it down. Also list skills you have, just use slightly more sophisticated language. For example instead of saying you know Tumblr, Twitter, FaceBook, etc. say Experience with Social Media or something like that. People take notice, I know from experience. 

Tip#4: Update. Update. Update.
Please keep your resumés updated. If your address changes, update. If you have a new job update. If you acquire new skills update. I think you get the picture. You want to keep your resumé as updated as possible. This makes it easier for you to always be ready to apply for an opportunity that comes up.  Also do this on your LinkedIn, if you have one, which I highly recommend for you to do.

Tip#5: Keywords.
Last but not least, pay attention to the keywords on job posts. Going back to the update tip, always update the keywords on your resumé to match what job you are applying to. Some jobs may not care that you have Photoshop skills, but another may. Specify your resumés to the type of job you are applying to and therefore specify the keywords. Just don't put down a skill you lack for the sole purpose of prettying the resumé. Emphasize, don't lie. 

Hope these tips were helpful. If you would like me to help you with your resumé feel free to email me here .

Love,
Astrid

2 comments:

  1. It is SO hard for me to keep my resume one page. It's like 3 pages right now and that's after I already cut so much out! I'm not too worried for now though because I am not searching for a job :)

    xo Megan, Lush to Blush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan I totally understand. I usually leave out jobs that were not extraordinary and just highlight the relevant experience/places I enjoyed to work at most and where I'd get the best references for.

    ReplyDelete