Astrid*Stars: Makeup Monday: Summer 2014 Nail Trends

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Makeup Monday: Summer 2014 Nail Trends


For this week's Makeup Monday, I wanted to feature some of the Summer Nail Trends I've come across. I don't often paint my nails, usually because I get busy and it becomes the last thing on my list, but never because I don't actually want to paint them lol. I'm hoping that this summer I can have more days with nail polish on my nails then days sans polish. So here are some of the trends I found.


Navy for Summer, summer 2014 nail trends, makeup monday

1. Dark Nails
Usually darker nail polish colors are reserved for the colder winter/fall months, but it seems this summer wants dark nails too. I personally love this trend as I usually go for the darker polish colors. Also, I love the way the dark colors look against light clothing, kind of edgy. Loving navies the most.

summer 2014 nail trends, makeup monday, white nails
{Source: Pinterest}
2. White Nails
On the other side of the spectrum, and repeating last week's Trendy Tuesday Wednesday post, white nails are also very hot this summer. I think this is the black nail of summer, chic yet simple.

Neons by Opi, summer 2014 nail trends, makeup monday

3. Neon Nails
It seems summer is having it's fun with color, as the two previous trends have dealt with the dark and white trend. Neon nails are also trending this summer and this is appropriate since summer is usually when people wear the brightest colors. I am excited to try this as my usual polish choices are bland, plus the neon hues seem to make you appear tanner, without actually roasting in the sun.
Flowers growing on Nail Beds, summer 2014 nail trends, makeup monday

4. Floral Designs
I have to say, this is probably my favorite of the trends. It really speaks for summer, plus it looks so pretty. Not too long ago, I went to Sephora and saw some polishes that have flowers instead of glitter pieces in it and I'm now obsessed. But getting one hand painted on your nail is also nice :)

summer 2014 nail trends, makeup monday, gradient nails, ombré nails, ombre
{Source: Pinterest}
5. Gradient/Ombré Nails
This is another trend I've been seeing a lot lately, and even though it's nothing new, I still want to try it. I've seen so many different variations on Instagram and they all look so pretty. My favorites have been those that have a purple/turquoise combo or classic black and white combo. 

While there are sure to be other summer nail trends out there and yet to surface, these are the ones I've come across and actually want to try out. Let me know if you will be trying these trends come summer or share any other trend I might have missed. Also, if you have any suggestions on what you want to see here on the blog, leave that in the comments below as well. I'm always open to ideas.

Love,
Astrid

20 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with nail polish haha. My nails are rarely naked! Really love the idea of the ombre nails, I'll have to have a look at a tutorial for that :) You're right about neons making you look tan too, I have a lovely coral that makes me look brown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy, I have seen some great ombré tutorials on Pinterest and Instagram. Most seem to involve a makeup sponge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 350+ nail polishes just SITTING here because I've been lazy and haven't painted in like... six weeks. This article is kicking me in the butt! I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am absolutely LOVING the white nail look.

    Michelle
    mash-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm feeling inspired to do my nails now! If only i had to patience to try out one of these fabulous designs love the mat blue, dark nails all year round hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving all the trends currently, which doesn't always happen!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them all!!! I am a manicures fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all these looks. I keep debating on the stiletto nails! I love the look but really don't want to keep up with acrylics plus the damage acrylics can do to your nails. #TheStruggleIsReal LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHH! Those blue matter nails are perfection! Also the florals are to die for. I will have to master these because I have mastered the ombre look!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love navy nails - such a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you liked the trends. I agree that sometimes the nail trends are a bit intimidating or I wonder how do you do anything with certain nails, but love that this year's trends are "home-made" friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the floral designs. I so wish I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, LOVE everyone of those shades of polish and designs..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving all the color trends. However, I really don't get the pointed nail trend. I'd be afraid that while sleeping I'd put out an eyeball or something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cassie, yes the pointed nail trend is scary. It only made its way on here because I loved the matte navy polish. Plus I'd annoy myself way more with typing than I already do

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm all about the white nail polish for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can totaly relate with you ,my nails are usually the last thing on my list too...

    Let's hope this summer I'll try these awesome trends out !

    Great article !
    http://afashionistastateofmind.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm loving all the color trends. Thanks for your review!!

    ReplyDelete