Gah, so this 30 day blogging challenge has been well, challenging. I was so excited to get the ball rolling again, but had a combination of writer's block and having so much I want to write about. But finally, after having this nagging and persistent focus on TV and realizing how much of it, good and bad, I have missed, I decided to start a new series. So with that I present to you: My Week With TV.
So first off, why did I choose to start blogging about TV all of a sudden. Well I guess it isn't really as spontaneous as it sounds. If you have been reading my blog for some time, or follow me on Twitter, you may know that I majored in Film and TV and currently work in reality/documentary TV. I also am just plain and simple a TV Junkie and lately I've been having a lot of creative talks with James and friends surrounding TV and Film. Therefore, since my blog is mostly based on what I'm living and loving, it would be odd not to include this passion/love of mine in it.
To start off the series, I want to talk about the big upcoming super important and special event for Television: The Emmy's. Oh yeah, something else I'm super into and in love with are award shows, particularly The Oscar's, the Golden Globes, and you guessed it, The Emmy's.
But I have to admit that while I love watching theses shows, in the past I've been really bad at knowing/watching the nominated shows. Like seriously I'm lost as to the existence of some of the shows. I mean they look great, but then I'm like wait...that has been on this whole time? Where was I when this was showing?
Not this year though. Nope, this year I vow to at least try to watch the series nominated for Comedy, Drama and maybe even Limited Series. Or at least the ones that seem possible to get through before the Emmy's air on Fox, September 20th. I will say that I have a bit of a head start though since there have been a few of the nominees that I've kept on top of.
So far the series I've gotten to are: Game of Thrones, American Crime, AHS: Freak Show, The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and yup that's about it. But there are still 15 others I need to get to. But let's face it, I'm a busy gal, what with work, dating, trying to workout and sleep, 15 series will be hard to squeeze in. I already watch a lot of TV but I'm not glued to it...I do have other things that keep me occupied. That's why I'm just going to choose 5 of these to focus on and then I'll see about the next 5, cuz priorities! So here are the one's I'll be giving my time to:
1. Homeland-I was actually really into this, but once I moved to New York, it became hard for me to keep up with it. But thankfully, I just subscribed to Showtime via Hulu and since I'm only a season and a half behind. this will be easy to come up to date with.
2. House of Cards- I really loved the first season of this show, but part of the reason I stopped watching it is because this is the kind of show where I have to put away all distractions and give it my full attention. But I usually get home so tired and just want to watch something light, however, I am willing to put away a day or two to give it my full devotion.
3. Silicon Valley- I remembered watching the pilot to this show and thinking it was so funny, but then we got rid of HBO. Thankfully I just got HBO Now and this show is only 2 seasons long as well as each episode only running a half hour.
4. Parks and Recreation- I know, I know, how have I not watched this. Well for a while I simply didn't watch a lot of NBC comedies, mainly because Grey's Anatomy was on at the same time LOL. But I love Amy Poehler and the rest of the cast, so this is a must! Plus it ended this year :(
5. Wolf Hall- Mostly because I have a thing for series based on historical times...specifically those surrounding kings and queens. And this one is all about Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. Plus James and his family have gotten me into a lot of BBC (it airs on PBS, but is produced by BBC).
It was difficult narrowing down my list, but ultimately I am happy with what I have chosen. I am going to give myself an even stricter deadline of two weeks rather than Sept 20th, but only so I will actually make time to watch these. My Week With TV starts now...but feel free to share whats on your DVR/List/Que with me in the comments below.